The Cryogenic Deburring Process
Cryogenic Deburring is a process designed to remove machining burrs created during the machining process. Machining burrs can be found on CNC machined parts along surfaces that are manufactured from material stock. In order for machined parts to complete their desired function, the residual machining burrs need to be removed.
Nitrofreeze® Cryogenic Deburring provides an efficient and repeatable method to remove burrs from machined metal and plastic parts. Most importantly, it provides consistent results batch to batch. Today, the most advanced cryogenic deburring machines use media blasting and part tumbling to remove machining burrs.
The 5 T’s of Cryogenic Deburring
There are five variables that create the foundation of the cryogenic deburring process. We refer to them as the “Five T’s.” These deburring parameters are developed and altered based on the machining burrs that needs to be removed. Please learn more about these variables below.
- Time: This variable includes the time needed to load the parts into the deburring machine, process them and unload upon completion of the cycle. The entire cycle takes minutes, not hours.
- Temperature: This parameter controls the freezing cold temperature that the parts are processed. Typically, parts are processed between 0°F and -180°F.
- Throw Wheel Speed: The rate at which polycarbonate cryogenic grade media is blasted at the parts. This is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) and ranges from 5,000 to 20,000 RPM.
- Type of Media: Cryogenic grade polycarbonate media is available in a range of sizes. Parts are processed with 0.015”, 0.020”, 0.030”, 0.045” or 0.060” diameter media to remove burrs.
- Tumble Rate: The speed at which the parts basket turns in the machine to tumble parts against one another to remove external burrs. This variable is measured in RPMs and ranges from 5 to 40 RPM
The Nitrofreeze® Cryogenic Deburring service offers an efficient and non-abrasive method to remove residual machining burrs from machined parts. This batch process will remove machining burrs from soft metal and plastic parts. Cryogenic deburring is used to remove burrs from parts from all kinds of industries. Would you be interested in sending in part samples that need deburring? Want to learn more about our cryogenic deburring proof of concept sampling program? Contact us by email at email@example.com.