The Cryogenic Deflashing Process
Cryogenic Deflashing is a process designed to remove molding flash created during the molding process. Molding flash can be found on molded parts along the parting lines, gate vestiges, and where pins and slides are located. In order for molded parts to complete their desired function, the residual molding flash needs to be removed.
Nitrofreeze® Cryogenic Deflashing provides an efficient and repeatable method to remove molding flash from molded metal, rubber and plastic parts. Most importantly, it provides consistent results batch to batch. Since its creation in the 1960’s, cryogenic deflashing has evolved significantly from a simple part tumbling operation. Today, the most advanced cryogenic deflashers use media blasting and part tumbling to remove residual molding flash.
The Five T’s of Cryogenic Deflashing
There are five variables that create the foundation of the cryogenic deflashing process. We refer to them as the “Five T’s.” These deflashing parameters are developed and altered based on the molding flash that needs to be removed. Please learn more about these variables below.
- Time: This variable includes the time needed to load the parts into the deflashing machine, process them and unload upon completion of the cycle. The entire cycle takes minutes, not hours.
- Temperature: This parameter controls the freezing cold temperature that the parts are processed. Typically, parts are processed between 0°F and -180°F.
- Throw Wheel Speed: The rate at which polycarbonate cryogenic grade media is blasted at the parts. This is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM) and ranges from 5,000 to 20,000 RPM.
- Type of Media: Cryogenic grade polycarbonate media is available in a range of sizes. Parts are processed with 0.015”, 0.020”, 0.030”, 0.045” or 0.060” diameter media to remove flash.
- Tumble Rate: The speed at which the parts basket turns in the machine to tumble parts against one another to remove external flash. This variable is measured in RPMs and ranges from 5 to 40 RPM
The Nitrofreeze® Cryogenic Deflashing service offers an efficient and non-abrasive method to remove residual molding flash from molded parts. This batch process will remove molding flash from molded plastic, rubber and metal parts. Cryogenic deflashing is used to remove flashing from parts from all kinds of industries. Would you be interested in sending in part samples requiring deflashing? Want to learn more about our cryogenic deflashing proof of concept sampling program? Contact us by email at email@example.com.